Art Simms Bass Fishing

My photo
I started bass fishing after watching all of the fishing shows on tv. A few years later I thought I was pretty good, until I entered a few tournaments. I quickly realized that I wasn't as good as I thought and was only donating my money. In 1997 I joined the Viking Bassmasters of the Minnesota Bass Federation to hone my skills with some guys more experienced than me. Since that time I have learned a lot and had some major success. I have been Viking Bassmasters Club Champion three times and won sixteen club tournaments. I was the Fishers of Men Minnesota East division champion in 2006, along with a few money tournament wins and numerous top tens.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

2009 tournament schedule

Thanks to a little reminder from the Bass Pundit, I thought I would post my tournament schedule for 2009.
One item of note, I found out there will be no Fishers of Men East division in 2009. It appears former FOM Director Mark Shutz has started a new tournament circuit called Full Throttle Fishing. He started with a walleye circuit in 2008 and has expanded with a bass circuit for 2009 consisting of two divisions with three tournaments each. My understanding is the points Champions from each division win a free entry into the Frankies 2 day tournament. Full Throttle Fishing seems structured very similar to FOM with a Friday night pre-tournament meeting, meal and guest speaker. I plan to fish the FTF circuit this year although I am not thrilled about the Friday night meetings, I would rather be home getting tackle ready and charging my batteries.
I also plan to fish the ABA again this year. These are very well run tournaments and a great group of guys.

ABA - 6/14 Big Marine
6/28 No/So Center
7/12 Waconia
7/26 Coon
8/9 Forest
8/23 Clearwater
9/19-20 White Bear & Big Marine

Full Throttle Fishing - 5/16 Balsam
6/20 Rush
7/25 Forest

Fishers of Men West - 5/30 Clearwater
8/29 Horseshoe

Viking Invitational - 10/4 Minnetonka

Sunrise YSB - 9/19? No/So Center

5 comments:

Basspastor said...

I would love to know the inside scoop about why Mark split with Fishers of Men. I thought he had a great relationship with Al Odom the FOM circuit founder and National Director.

Carl Spande said...

Art,

Are there co-anglers in your ABA tournaments? How much are the entry fees? I tried to figure it out through ABA's website and didn't find much. Thanks.

Carl

Art Simms said...

Dave,

From what I heard, Mark went to FOM a couple years ago with the idea of starting a FOM walleye circuit but FOM was not interested, so he did it on his own,probably planning to start a bass circuit also all along. Also I heard the division directors have to pay a fee each year to be involved with FOM, so running his own circuit would eliminate that fee. I dont think his relationship with Al was an issue. Keep in mind this is what I heard through the grapevine so take it for what it is worth.

Art Simms said...

Carl,

There are no co-anglers, but there are non-boaters, although very few. Last year the most non-boaters I saw was 5, and a few tournaments had none. You can get info & check the rules at www.abamn.com

Carl Spande said...

Thanks Art.

Carl